Here are photos of the beginning of my latest attempt and dyeing yarn. I'm using Gaywool dyes and Wool of the Andes Natural from Knitpicks.
I started by soaking the yarn for a couple of hours in plenty of water and a small amount of Eucalan. This is a cheapo enameled stock pot that will never be used for cooking food.
Next, I started heating the water and dissolved the dye crystals in boiling water.
The last photo for tonight shows what the yarn looked like after adding the dye solutions. The colors used are Indigo, Mulberry, Tomato and Honeycomb.
The pot then bolied gently for 30 minutes. The colors bled together quite a bit, so I have doubts about what the whole thing will look like in the morning. I covered the pot and will wait until morning to see what happened. I suspect I overdid the dye solution, but we'll see.