I received my Secret Pal giftee's name this afternon and that spurred me toward posting the answers to questions on the SPIII site.
Here goes for my Secret Pal:
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I don't mind some acrylic, as long as it's not Red Heart with that stiff, plasticy feel. I use acrylic blends (Unger's Utopia or Plymouth Encore) for machine washability when I make my sons' their beanies. My chairty knitting projects for babies also call for synthetics. One reason I love making socks for Children in Common is the chance to try out new wool yarns.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I have attempted to use a hand spindle, which led to many feelings of inadequacy. I'll get back to it someday. Crochet is not my favorite, but it is nice for making a quick baby blanket.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Cigarette smoke bothers me most of the time.
4. How long have you been knitting?
I taught myself to knit from a book when I was still in high school. That was a long time ago....
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have one at Amazon, but just use it to save links for myself--not much there right now.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Vanilla or Orange Blossom
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
I love Dove brand dark chocolates.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Scrapbooking, card making, altered books, beading
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if you want to make her a CD)
I like most types of music--please no Headbanger's Ball, though. Some of my favorites are U2, Eagles, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, The Beatles and Keith Urban.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
Red, red, red. I like purple and green, too. Just about anything but orange or any of those neon, highliter type colors
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm single with twin sons that are celebrating their birthdays today. They have both moved away from home and I currently live with my Mom and two spoiled cats and three tropical fish.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
I look forward to traveling, grandchildren and retirement--as long as the last two don't come up too soon.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I just finished a Charlotte's Web shawl with Koigu and loved that yarn. I also enjoy Noro Kureyon for felting. For socks, I like Regia Ringel and Lorna's Laces.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'm not really into the novelty eyelash yarn thing--unless it's for use on a scrapbook page or altered book spread.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Charlotte was a minor obsession. I still need to figure out how to finish the edges, though. Little kid-szied sock are next on my charity list. Beanie gifting season is fast approaching, too.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Hats, socks, and shawls. Sweaters are not my thing since I live in a warm area and have a short attention span.
17. What are you knitting right now?
Baby blanket for charity and "Fenna" shawl from Myrna Stahman's book.
18. What do you think about ponchos? (this is really a curiousity question for us)
Some are cute, but not really my thing.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circular all the way, unless I'm making socks. I love my little 5" Brittany DP's for socks.
20. How did you learn to knit?
Taught myself from books I read
21. How old is your oldest UFO?
Fenna is a few months old. Most of the others were disposed of in my last cleaning frenzy. They never would have been finished anyway.
22. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Now that my kids are grown, I don't watch much animated fare. I do like hummingbirds and have several feeders in the backyard.
23. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas. I like most holidays, but don't really get into Halloween.
24. Is there anything that you collect?
Cat figurines from Fenton Art Glass, Christopher Radko ornaments, anything Santa related.